Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cramer: Cavs Update

Okay, once again, you all saw it. The Cavs absolutely DEMOLISHED the Celtics on their home court. Ha. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. That being said, I would still feel the same way I did in my previous post if LeBron's elbow were as hurt as he made it seem in games 1 and 2.

This game was over from the second LeBron hit his first jump shot. I think the Celtics for some reason started to believe 'Bron wasn't going to be himself in this series, and as a result got complacent allowing him to beat them. Bad choice. LeBron went off in Detroit game 5 fashion, except he did it from the opening tip. Tough to beat the Cavs when the King has this kind of performance; add in the supporting cast, and you're in for a long night.

However, Cavs fans need to not get too far ahead of themselves. Look at the box score. The Cavs are a good team, heck, a great team... but 60% from the field is something that isn't going to hold up over a 7-game series against any team, let alone one of the better defensive teams in the league. Now look at the free-throws: 31-34?! We all know that can't and won't happen again for a team that shoots a measly 72% from the line. So take away 6 or 7 points on free throws, and another 10 on FGs, and you're looking at a completely different game.

I know this is hypothetical, and yes, I'm looking for reasons why the Cavs can't possibly do this in games 4 and 5 and close the Celtics out in the same amount of time as they did the Bulls, but this is not going to happen again. The Celtics are a veteran team, with a decent enough coach, and a defensive mindset. They didn't double hard on LeBron today, they let Mo Williams get into the paint, they shot 4-17 from three... the list goes on and on. The C's just were not ready to play game 3. They bought into the hype they got after dominating most of games 1 and 2, and they came out flatter than [enter joke here]. As I said before, the second LeBron started hitting jumpshots, the Celtics defensive gameplan was shot. They'll have a new one for game 4, and we should be in for a great game come Sunday.

Back to predictions. I've been wrong in a lot of my predictions so far this post-season. Please don't even look at what I said would happen in the Spurs-Suns series (I forgot Goran Dragic was on the Suns or I obviously would have taken the Suns in 4). If LeBron plays like this, it's over. In 5.

As a final point: Please understand that I am pessimistic about sports results among other things. My reaction following game 2 was a stereotypical Cleveland sports fan reaction, so I supposed I've been sucked into their vortex. Having said that, you may see more reactions like that in the coming weeks (especially against Orlando if the Cavs get there), but keep in mind that I truly believe this Cavs team is the best team in the league. They should win it all, but it remains to be seen whether or not they can put it all together on a nightly basis.

As a P.P.S... how about Goran Dragic?! Does anyone else think that performance may have been better than LeBron's game 5 at the palace?

No comments:

Post a Comment