Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cramer: Cavs "Down"date (as opposed to "Up", get it?)

Maybe LeBron's elbow is really badly hurt. Maybe something is wrong with his family. Maybe he has decided to leave Cleveland and the locker room knows it. Whatever the reason is for LeBron's less than stellar performance for all but one quarter during this series, I'm listening.

As a fan of the Cavs, and LeBron, I'd be willing to accept an apology from LeBron. If he came out and stated what the issue has been during this series, I'd give him a pardon. Sure, critics of LeBron would say that it shouldn't have affected him as much as it has, but as a fan, I'm open to anything at this point. But what I can't accept is his inability to step up for the first time in his life in what might very well be the most important 2-3 game stretch for any franchise in the history of sports.

LeBron owes it to his city, his teammates, his fans, and himself to show up for every playoff game... but he hasn't. Boston's defense is fantastic, but LeBron has seen it SO many times, and he has shredded it SO many times. I'm speechless. Even at the end of game 5, with his team trailing by 25 points, LeBron could be found in the corners watching the offense failing over and over again. I mean, at least try to shoot yourself out of the "funk" you're in so that you can be more effective for game 6. But, no. LeBron is playing this series like it is over, which it may be, but it is terribly disheartening.

I don't want to blame this all on LeBron. He has done so much for Cleveland, he has inspired me and many others in so many ways, but he deserves at least 90% of the blame if the Cavs do in fact lose this series. Let's look at who else needs to take a look in the mirror in the next two days:

Mo: Mo, please just run the offense. No heat checks. No trying to be Steve Nash. Just run the sets. Get LeBron the ball. Get 'Tawn the ball. Get in the corner. Make open threes. I've seen you do it ALL year, so what's the issue now? You're no longer the focal point like you were last year... the pressure's gone... just deliver me 3 3's next game. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE AT LEAST TRY TO STAY IN FRONT OF RONDO.

Antawn: Antawn, stop shooting jumpers. Your jump shot percentage is not high enough for this level of playoff basketball. No wonder you've never had playoff success. Let LeBron put you in positions to succeed, but other than that, just concentrate on challenging Kevin Garnett for position in the low post. He's KILLING you there, and that's where the Cavs defense is starting to breakdown in the first and second quarters. Make him miss ONE FREAKIN' SHOT, and the game could go completely differently. Seriously.

Andy: Andy... I don't know if your back is hurting, but I don't care. Get me 4 offensive rebounds next game. Period. I'll support you until you retire, so please just do this for me.

AP: Anthony, you should never turn the ball over. You literally have one role: hit WIDE open threes. Stop dribbling, stop trying to make good passes. If you're not open, just give it up. Other than that, keep up the good defense.

Delonte: Give me the same performance you had in game 3. I've seen you do it so many times... do it 2 more times for me.

Mike Brown: look, you're an awful coach. I mean it, you're terrible. You clearly can't motivate this team anymore, and you oughta be fired even if the Cavs somehow win it all this year. For now though, do me a favor, make ONE in game adjustment per game. If we have one more game to watch this year, I'd like to see you change the game in a positive way ONCE during the game. That's all. Good luck elsewhere.

Lastly,

LeBron: LeBron... sack up. Seriously. Kobe does it. Michael did it. All the greats have done it. Play through whatever is going on, and get this team through this round. If you lose to Orlando, that's fine, they're good... but you're better than this Boston team and you know it. You knew it when you almost came back and beat them earlier this season, and you know it now. Stop shaking your head on the bench, stop looking at your watch during press conferences, and go out and win me a game. If you want to leave after this season, that's fine... as long as you deliver on what you promised you would: Deliver the Cavs a championship. I spend so much time following you and your team, and exert so much effort making sure I know everything about this team, please don't let me down. I feel like a ten year old on Christmas day not getting the present I want. You were a boy once, you know what that feels like. Go get me my present, or I promise I will nag you about it until next Christmas...

Alright, that's all I can stomach for now. I'm heartbroken. I know it's not over, but it is. LeBron's disinterested, as is everyone else on that roster. I may not watch Thursday, but I hope you all enjoy watching LeBron's last game in a Cavs uniform.

Peace.

9 comments:

  1. Shaq and Z showed up to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This performance is reminiscent of Patrick Ewing's disappointing playoff appearances. LeBron just can't seem to get it done (like Patrick). I know he's a great player, but if he doesn't get the rings, he's no Michael, Kobe or Magic! Sorry Zeus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and we don't need him in NY...we've had enough basketball disappointment of our own. We are a cursed team and he can't possibly break the curse. I know he wants to be in NY and the NBA gods probably want him to come to rejuvenate the Knicks, but he's better off going somewhere where he might have a chance at getting a surrounding cast worthy of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't, in all good conscience, defend LeBron unless something changes drastically

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lebron, Chicago, Calipari.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The anonymous NY fan above has it right. The thing is that Ewing's Knicks were at least fun to watch and the effort was there. JOHN STARKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. varejao varejao varejao varejao varejao

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, Zeus! I can imagine how much you are hurting. I am a Knicks fan. I lived through years of "close, but no Championship," in the Ewing years. Maybe you will be better off if LeBron leaves. He just may be one of those guys who never gets surrounded by the right guys and never gets the ring.

    Yes, the Ewing-era Knicks were a blast to watch. So much personality & defense. That's why I like the Celtics now. They have charisma & personality. Oh yes, and they can play defense!

    ReplyDelete